How do you choose the best grill pan for you? What characteristics and properties must a quality grill pan have? Read our guide and choose informed.
What is a grill pan?
A grill pan (or a grill pan) is a pan with raised grooves such as barbecue lines placed at a distance of 1-2 centimeters between them.
The grill lines are usually half a centimeter high, which allows the juices and fats in the cooked food to drain to provide a grill-like cooking.
Most grill pans today offer a non-stick surface . However, there are other types of grill pans that are made of other materials, such as cast iron or stainless steel.
Why buy a grill pan
If you don't have a grill pan yet , you're probably wondering what benefits this brings to a normal pan.
There are a multitude of reasons in favor of a grill pan and below we detail the most important:
- Traces of Grill – A steak tastes better when it has healthy traces of grill . The meat looks like it was roasted on the grill in the yard, and the small black marks are crispy and tasty.
- You save time by preparing different foods at the same time – A grill pan is usually round or square in shape and larger than a regular pan . These features allow you to prepare different foods in the same pan. This way you can cook chicken, beef, sausages or vegetables at the same time without worrying that the juices will mix and alter the taste. This way you no longer have to wash the pan every time you change the type of food.
- Elevated lines for collecting fat – Elevated lines allow fats and juices from food to drain so that it does not cook in a puddle and makes it very easy to collect them for sauces. Sauces cooked with juices drained from the steak are delicious and can be served with steaks or garnishes.
- Grill at home – Because grill pans generally fit on most cooking surfaces of the built-in stove or hob, you no longer need to prepare the grill outside if you feel like a quick-cooked steak or if the weather outside is cold or rainy. Impress your friends with your perfect steaks.
- Healthy cooking – In a normal pan when you want to fry a piece of meat it will release the juices and fat and cook in them, resulting in more frying than a healthy steak. The grill pan offers you a healthy and tasty steak due to the high lines that allow the fat to drain.
The best grill pans offer many benefits over normal flat pans. However, it is important to always choose the right type of pan for the type of food and dishes you will cook.
How to choose the best grill pan
Thanks to the dozens of grill pan models available on the market, choosing the right one for you can seem like an extremely difficult task. Before deciding on the best grill pan, it is good to consider several criteria , which we detail below.
The longer the handle, the colder it will be, although a handle that is too long usually adds more weight to an already heavy and large grill pan (like cast iron ones).
A "help handle" , like a hook, located on the opposite side of the long handle is helpful when you need to handle a large or heavy pan.
Frying pan construction
Cast iron grill pans are usually the best choice due to the fact that they retain heat very well at high temperatures and ensure its uniform distribution. The disadvantage would be that they heat up harder, thus increasing the volume of energy consumed.
Grill pans made of solid aluminum or stainless steel are lighter, heat up faster, but do not retain and distribute the heat of the stove as evenly.
Grill pans can be found in round or square shapes, but there are also rectangular pans that cover 2 mesh stoves simultaneously.
Cast iron pans are treated or covered with enamel. The treated interior of cast iron pans will last longer, and can even be treated by you with oil to keep a correct surface for a long time, but those covered with enamel offer a more comfortable cooking and are easier to clean.
If you choose a stainless steel grill pan, you must know that uncovered stainless steel is quite difficult to clean because the grease will dry between the grooves of the pan and will have to be cleaned responsibly.
For stainless steel or aluminum grill pans, the easiest way is to opt for a non- stick coating , but this has the disadvantage that it will not leave grill marks as deep and pronounced.
Many cast iron pans have an enameled exterior , which helps with cleaning and adds a splash of color to your kitchen.
Round or square?
Although most normal pans are round, I noticed that most grill pans are square . Because grilled foods need to be cooked in a single layer (unlike a stew, say), the square shape is an advantage because it provides a larger cooking surface .
In the case of cast iron grill pans, due to the uniform heat distribution, even the farthest corners of the flame will provide a consistent temperature.
How to use a grill pan
Grill pans are extremely easy to use. Like a regular frying pan, they are made of durable materials and can withstand medium and high temperatures.
However, if you choose a grill pan with non-stick coating, we recommend using it at medium temperature, because too high temperatures can damage the inner coating over time, thus making the pan unusable.
To use a grill pan correctly, follow the steps below:
- Food preparation – To ensure that the food will be penetrated evenly, cut or beat the chosen pieces to a thickness of 1.5 – 2 cm and a flat surface. This prevents uneven cooking in which the thicker parts remain raw on the inside, or the thin parts burn or dry out.
- Heat – Turn the hob over medium to high heat and place the pan on it. Check that the pan is heated by placing your hand a few inches above it. Full heating can take 5 to 20 minutes, depending on the performance of the hob eye and the material of the pan.
- Cooking oil – Do not pour the oil directly into the pan as it will smoke at high temperatures. It is best to grease the vegetables with a thin layer of oil . For meat pieces in general, no greasing is needed, because they will leave their own fat in the pan as they cook.
- Fry the food – To get beautiful grill lines , place the food in the pan at a 45 degree angle. Then rotate them at a 90 degree angle after a few minutes. This way you will get some beautiful traces of square barbecue. Turn them over and repeat.
And ready – this is the quick and easy way to cook on your new grill pan!
The best grill pan: recommendations
Taking into account the above tips, analyzing the existing offer and the opinions of the buyers, we still recommend some models of grill pans that have attracted our attention and that offer an excellent quality / price ratio.
1. Tefal Talent Pro Grill Pan, 26 cm
The Grill Talent Pro pan has a non- stick inner coating with Titan inserts , which makes it up to 3 times stronger.
The Thermo-Spot temperature indicator indicates the ideal temperature when you can start cooking.
The base is solid Titan concentrate for extra strength and durability, and the handles are sturdy with stainless steel inserts.
4.5 mm base with uniform heat distribution.
See details and price
2. Grill pan with hot stone effect Regis Stone Griddle Pan
With a diagonal of 28 cm and specific ribs , the Regis Stone grill is specially designed to be able to cook juicy steaks and vegetables , in a healthy style.
The special, non-stick coating, with a hot stone effect , does not allow food to stick and helps them retain their properties and nutritional qualities.
The 4 mm thickness makes the Regis Stone Griddle Pan very scratch-resistant and durable .
The base, made of stainless steel, ensures efficient and uniform heat distribution over the entire surface of the pan.
See details and price
3. Grill pan with lid 28 cm Burgundy Metallic Line Berlinger Haus
It works on any heat source, and can be used both on the stove and on the induction hob.
The marble coating ensures a surface that facilitates food preparation and subsequent cleaning.
The heat distribution is remarkable, the food preparation being fast and healthy.
The handle has an elegant design, is ergonomic and pleasant to the touch.
The lid (T-Glass) is heat resistant and has a stainless steel handle.
See details and price
4. Orion Pan steak Large 27 cm
Surface grill pan is a solid, low-pan molded pan with a PFLUON GRANIT non-stick coating, on which you will prepare excellent grills with minimal fat consumption.
Material: aluminum with excellent non-stick surface with grill surface, plastic handle.
Possibility of hanging.
We recommend the use of kitchen gloves.
See details and price
5. Banquet Premium Dark Brown grill pan 28 cm
This premium series pan is made of forged aluminum alloy and has a non-stick surface in a dark brown granite decor.
Non-stick surface is very hard and scratch resistant.
The pan is resistant to shocks and shape deformations.
The high thermal conductivity ensures fast and economical cooking – it stays warm for a long time.
3 mm thick walls, full induction bottom, soft-touch handle.
See details and price